Skip to main content

I cannot afford a lawyer for my husband facing first degree murder. How and where can I go or do to find someone pro bono ?

Colorado Springs, CO |

His PD has said she can't help him anymore and he hasn't even plead at his arraignment scheduled for tomorrow. Can I do anything as I have no money and am disabled to find a good attorney that will take this pro bono?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    He needs to determine why the PD cannot help him. If the PD has a conflict he should be able to obtain representation through the office of Alternate Defense Counsel (ADC).

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

  2. Good luck, these cases are lengthy and serious I will not take such a case for less than $50,000 down and sometimes more.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

  3. That seems odd to me that the PD would just bail on a case like that. If your husband is still in custody, he is still indigent and must be represented by the PD. Did you bond him out? Typically 1st degree murder suspects are held without bond. If he did bond out, it would have been incredibly expensive. If he is out, and you can't afford an attorney, reapply for the PD. if you don't qualify you have two choices: break out the rainy day fund, or have your husband pull his bond and go back into custody so he will qualify for the PD. The last 1st degree murder case I handled cost my client over $100,000.00.

    He cannot go about this case without an attorney. He's looking at the rest of his life in prison.

    Just because I answered your question, does not create an attorney - client relationship between us unless and until there is a written fee agreement in place formalizing our attorney - client relationship.

  4. My colleagues are absolutely correct. The Public Defender has to help your husband and represent him. If they have a conflict, an Alternate Defense Counsel (ADC) will be appointed. My colleagues are correct that any skilled attorney will charge between at least $50,000 - $100,000 to handle a case of this magnitude.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

  5. you can try contacting your local public defender's office. They should have a list of low fee lawyers who can help.


Pro bono representation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics