I can't sleep! I went to a restaurant chain and saw a racist ad in their restaurant! And so, can I sue for discrimination?

Chicago, IL |

The ad didn't had slur or any words in it but it had people in a way that literally look racist. I don't feel comfortable now.

You should probably not patronize that restaurant.

If you feel you've been harmed directly, contact a lawyer who handles civil rights cases.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email:  stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website:  www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog:  www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

2. How were you discriminated against? The restaurant has no duty to make sure you "feel comfortable". I can not see anything in your post that evenly remotely hints at discrimination, but you should contact a local Chicago attorney to verify.

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160 www.pepperodom.com

3. No, but you can gather some friends and picket the restaurant to take it down.

4. If you do not feel comfortable, do not patronize that restaurant. Your don't seem to have a basis for a lawsuit. We are sorry you cannot sleep.

5. No.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

6. It is not illegal to target a demographic and to do so crudely or offensively. Nor is it a cause of action for discrimination or otherwise when someone does.

You cannot sue every time you're offended. In fact, very rarely can you sue simply because you're offended. Here in america, we let people speak their minds, regardless of the offensiveness to a particular race or group. That's freedom.

If you weren't prevented from eating at this restaurant based on your race and you weren't denied employment, you have no race-based claim.

Best of luck.

Answering questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.