I can't pay my court fees/fines. What will happen to me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Paducah, KY

I received around $2500 in court fees and fines, and a jail sentence of 21 days in August of last year. My fees/fines are due 2/11/2013. Since my release from jail I've lost my job, and have been looking ever since. I recently moved in with some friends close to town to increase the likely hood of finding a job, although it is still very hard due to my lack of a drivers license. I've had a couple of interviews, but I've failed the background check every time. I'm expecting a little over $1000 in tax refunds and plan to use all of it to make a payment on my fines. Considering this, what can I expect when I go to court on the 11th of next month? Is there any way I can avoid jail time?

1. Frank Mascagni III

4

1

Answered . Gather as much money as you can, go to the clerk's office and make a substantial payment with the clerk. Ask if you can advance the case to explain your financial problems to the judge and ask for more time and/or to perform volunteer work to lessen the obligation.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

5

1

Answered . In my experience, courts appreciate being told of difficulties early. First opportunity, schedule an appearance before 2/11. Take any documents that you have with you to support your claims about seeking employment and the loss of a job. Usually, judges are interested more in getting your money than putting you in jail.

3. David Brent Cox

Pro

2

1

Answered . Mr. Mascagni is correct. Most Judges do not want to put you in jail over fines and they don't want to do collections work from the bench. Make a good faith effort to pay what you can and ask the Judge for more time. Showing a good faith effort fequently goes a long way with judges.

4. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

4

Answered . You may want to fill out a financial affidavit to support your claim of economic distress. I agree with Attorney Hudson, the courts would rather get money from you than spend the State's money to incarcerate you.

5. William Joseph Balena

2

1

Answered . pay what you can. It is far better to pay a small amount more frequently than to hold out to save enough for the big pay off. Something always happens that will use up the fine money. I am talking multiple payments in the 5, 10 , 20 dollar range. When your review hearing comes up the payment record will show a regular pattern of a man with no resources doing what he can to make things right. A little good faith goes a very long way in criminal court. If the record shows you doing your best I bet the judge will work with you. At least they will in my neck of the woods in Ohio.