I can't get my NJ license plates because of an issued NJ state ID in my married name.

Bayonne, NJ |
Filed under: Vehicle title

I recently just bought a car in NJ and the DMV won't give me my license plates because I have a NJ state ID in my married last name. When I got married, my last name didn't change, not even with social security. I just got served with divorce papers and that will expire in 30 days and my temporary plates will expire in 8 days. I showed up at the DMV with 6point ID verification and told them I need to change my NYC license with single name to NJ license because of my married last name on my NJ state ID and the person who checks the 6point verification said I need to get a letter from the judge but my temporary plates will expire in 8 days. What can I do? Should I try to go to the DMV again and just say I need an ID change? The car dealer said they can only give me one temporary plate.

1. Hello,
    What do you mean, the divorce papers will expire in 30 days? How did you end up with a NJ State ID in your married name? Please contact my office for a FREE consultation so we may sort out these details and get you the help you require with this situation. Meanwhile, can you obtain another set of temporary plates? Thank you for your inquiry.

Ksenia V. Proskurchenko, Esq.
    President and Managing Attorney
    PROSKURCHENKO LAW GROUP, LLC
    570 North Broad Street, Suite 13
    Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208
    Main: (973) 321-3040
    Fax: (908) 933-0953
    www.prosklawgroup.com

THIS ANSWER IS INTENDED FOR GENERAL INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. IT SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR BE DEEMED TO CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.