I can't cancel a magazine subscription because of a voice recorded commitment. Is there anything I can do?

Bridgeport, CT |

I ordered magazines with a company VIP reader services. Now my husband is out of work and 4 years of payments is too much. I called to cancel it and they refuse to because I was voice recorded and it is considered a commitment when arguing we just don't want to continue they hung up on me . What can I do?

In general, only a few select types of contracts must be in writing. Unless your state has some consumer protection laws that say otherwise, a verbal contract for consumer goods is enforceable.

If the value of the magazines is over $500 dollars then the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) might require that the contract be in writing. Connecticut has adopted the UCC so this might be an option for you to consider. (See

That being said, it's not going to be worth your time (unless these are REALLY expensive magazines) to consult an attorney. It can be really hard to dispute consumer debt because there isn't really a lot of recourse that is economically efficient for the consumer.

thank you

You should immediately contact an attorney experienced in consumer protection and collection defense for more detailed advice based upon the specific facts of your case.

The answer to your question may be fact specific and you have not provided enough information for me to answer the question.

It may be helpful to find an attorney who would be willing to contact the company with you on the phone line.

Kent M. Miller
PO Box 352
Stratford, CT 06615
Tel: 203-380-2161
Fax: 866-496-4374 (toll free)

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will not be established with me unless and until you have executed a written agreement for me to represent you.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business