I can't cancel a magazine subscription because of a voice recorded commitment. Is there anything I can do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bridgeport, CT

I ordered magazines with a company VIP reader services. Now my husband is out of work and 4 years of payments is too much. I called to cancel it and they refuse to because I was voice recorded and it is considered a commitment when arguing we just don't want to continue they hung up on me . What can I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kent Matthew Miller

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should immediately contact an attorney experienced in consumer protection and collection defense for more detailed advice based upon the specific facts of your case.

    The answer to your question may be fact specific and you have not provided enough information for me to answer the question.

    It may be helpful to find an attorney who would be willing to contact the company with you on the phone line.


    Kent M. Miller
    PO Box 352
    Stratford, CT 06615
    Tel: 203-380-2161
    Fax: 866-496-4374 (toll free)

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-... more
  2. Ian Robert Reardon

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . In general, only a few select types of contracts must be in writing. Unless your state has some consumer protection laws that say otherwise, a verbal contract for consumer goods is enforceable.

    If the value of the magazines is over $500 dollars then the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) might require that the contract be in writing. Connecticut has adopted the UCC so this might be an option for you to consider. (See http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-201)

    That being said, it's not going to be worth your time (unless these are REALLY expensive magazines) to consult an attorney. It can be really hard to dispute consumer debt because there isn't really a lot of recourse that is economically efficient for the consumer.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,578 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,578 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering