I can't afford the ignition interlock device. What will happen if I sell the car & just start taking the bus?

West Covina, CA |

I can't afford the car payments either. I would rather just get rid of the car & rely on friends and family. I work from my home so I don't really need a car that much.

Nothing. The interlock is only a requirement if you drive or own a car. If you don't then there is no problem.

This is just my opinion and not a comprehensive answer. You assume the risk because this answer may not apply to your situation depending on the facts.

You can sell the car. However make sure you fill out the proper paperwork with the court and the DMV stating that you no longer own or posses a car so you get credit for that time.
Robert Driessen

If you do not own a car you do not need an IID.

I would think that once title is transferred that the IID can be removed. Call the DMV.