I can't afford a lawyer. How do I try to get custodyof my son?

Asked about 1 year ago - Corvallis, OR

My son's mother is constantly threatening me with taking my son away from me. We have a custody agreement that we have never followed. I actually get to see my son more than the agreement says. When my son is "with her" he dose not actually spend any time with her. My son wants to live with me and I would love that. I can't afford a lawyer and I just don't know where to start the process. Any information, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1. Shannon L. Hall

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . It sounds like you need to file a Motion to modify custody and parenting time (and perhaps child support). When you file, you will also want to file a Motion for "Status Quo" at the same time. This type of motion is a request that the Court continue the parenting plan you have been exercising over the last three months (instead of the current court order) while your case is pending. There will be a hearing on the status quo motion about a month (depending on your county) after you file the Motion. You should, at minimum, invest in a consultation with an attorney and ask for help completing paperwork.

www.GoodOregonLawyers.com

2. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

1

Answered . You start with a meeting with a custody attorney. One appointment will give you far more information than trying to guess your way through. Good luck.