Skip to main content

I can't afford "Parental Coordinator" how do I get him removed?

Portland, OR |

The parental coordinator costs $350 an hour. I make minimum wage. My ex can afford to pay him. I can not. She finds excuses to contact the coordinator. The intent is clear. To financially ruin me. The coordinator insists that I pay half even when it is clear that the reason my ex contacted him is a non issue. How do I get him removed? I can't afford it. It is like a financial nuclear bomb.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the court ordered this person's involvement, the only thing you can do is apply to the court to see if you can get a waiver of your 50% of the costs. Unless you qualify for IFP status, they probably won't issue such an order, but that's the only way it can be done. Courts love these people because it takes the work load for lots of mundane stuff off their desk. And, you're 100% correct - your ex is doing this to ruin you. No doubt about it. The problem is, unless you can convince a judge, there is nothing you can do about it.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.



We reached settlement before court. So the coordinator is not imposed but rather endorsed by the court. Financially it is absurd to Imagine that I can in any way afford this. I tried to speak with the coordinator before I acquiesced to his appointment, he refused to speak with me at all. I did not know how much he cost. Just knowing his rate would have warned me off of accepting him. I communicated with him letting him know that I simply can't afford this. He basically told me "too bad" even when he agreed that the issues raised were not substantive. If he were willing to make her pay when her claims are frivolous that would be one thing. But he did not do so even after tacitly acknowledging that they were. What happens if I pay him, but at a rate, say, 3 times my hourly wage?


You'll have to file a motion to modify your custody judgment - either to remove the parenting coordinator entirely, or, more likely, to change the cost allocation - say, to the proportion of your actual incomes, rather than 50/50. If your income is substantially different from your co-parent's, a court might find a proportional payment responsibility to be fair.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin<br> Bodzin Donnelly Mockrin & Slavin, LLP<br> 2029 SE Jefferson Street, Suite 101, Milwaukie, OR 97222<br> <br> Telephone: 503-227-0965<br> Facsimile: 503-345-0926<br> Email:<br> Online:


It's likely that the Coordinator was appointed by the Court under an Order. You'll have to file a Motion to modify that Order. It sounds like you have a decent chance of having that Order modified. You should consult with an attorney about how to do that.

Best of luck to you.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer