Skip to main content


Kearny, NJ |

Hi, I'm italian. My grandfather and grandmother was US naturlized in 1940. My mom was boRn and live in US, going to school etc. Ater go in Italy and married my father (italian).

I born and live in Italy, I can request the US citizenship for jus sanguis?


Attorney Answers 3

  1. Possible. Hire a lawyer to research the particular rules that apply to your situation regarding the transmittal of US citizenship, file and handle the case.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. It depends on whether your mom met the requirements to transmit US citizenship.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Maybe possible, but need more details. I stongly recommend you to consult with an attorney.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics