I came to the US as an F1 Student in Jan 2012 and then filed for Asylum without going to school.

Asked over 1 year ago - Inglewood, CA

My application was referred to the Immigration for a decision and I was put in removal proceedings. I have my master hearing in August 2014. I have received another immigration permanent residence from the Canadian government through my sister in CANADA (Family sponsorship program). If I withdraw my application at this stage what are my chances of ever coming to the US for a visit. Will I be banned from coming here. I am not returning to my home country where I fear persecution.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Cannot be determined without a full review of the entire case.

    You will need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your ability to return to the US, or not, will 'hinge' on whether or not you filed a 'frivolous' asylum application.

    The US government takes false/frivolous applications quite seriously.

    Meet with an immigration attorney for a private evaluation of your papers.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,414 answers this week

3,003 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,414 answers this week

3,003 attorneys answering