I CALLED IN SICK AND I WAS HARRASSED INTO SAYING WHY I COULDNT COME TO WORK. I HAD TO SAY MY EXCUSE AND I FELT THAT I HAD TO GO

Asked 8 months ago - Durham, NC

To the me just to cover my behind. I called the md and ask could they give me an excuse because I didn't have health insurance. So I went back to work and they told me that I couldn't come back to work without an excuse, wrote me up and sent me home. I have never been treated like that in my 14 years of working.

1. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

4

Answered . I do not see a question here nor do I see anything that violates the law. North Carolina is an employment at will state and you can be fired for any reason. If the employer chose to do so, you could have been fired for not reporting to work whether you have an excuse or not.

2. Kenneth Love Jr.

1

Answered . Unfortunately, I agree with Mr. Angel. When you call out sick, the employer has the right to ask what is wrong and even demand you get a doctor's note.