I CALLED IN SICK AND I WAS HARRASSED INTO SAYING WHY I COULDNT COME TO WORK. I HAD TO SAY MY EXCUSE AND I FELT THAT I HAD TO GO

Durham, NC |

To the me just to cover my behind. I called the md and ask could they give me an excuse because I didn't have health insurance. So I went back to work and they told me that I couldn't come back to work without an excuse, wrote me up and sent me home. I have never been treated like that in my 14 years of working.

I do not see a question here nor do I see anything that violates the law. North Carolina is an employment at will state and you can be fired for any reason. If the employer chose to do so, you could have been fired for not reporting to work whether you have an excuse or not.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has practiced employment law for more than 15 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at www.theangellawfirm.com This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.

Unfortunately, I agree with Mr. Angel. When you call out sick, the employer has the right to ask what is wrong and even demand you get a doctor's note.