I built a house and was able to make changes to the plan. I added a 2nd master suite upstairs to be like the master downstairs.

Cypress, TX |
Filed under: Real estate

The price we were quoted was 39,500 to build a 2nd master suite up (downstairs as well.) We closed 5 months ago and just noticed that the doors in the upstairs master are 6'8" doors and not the 8' doors like the downstairs - which alters the dramatic look/feel of rooms and one of the reasons we bought the house to begin with. I emailed the builder who directed me to the sales manager - his reply was: "I am sorry if that was a detail that you intended to have, but the time for noticing that oversight was before you moved into the home."
I not only intended to have that detail - he sold me that detail and I paid for it. He did not specifically convey that detail to builder so builder went with normal size 6'8" doors upstairs. Because I didn't catch their error they don't have to fix it?

1. If it is their "error," they will have to fix it The question is whether the door height was part of the agreed modification.

It sounds like a relatively minor fix. See if you can work out a deal with them. Good luck.

2. Was a written change order signed by you and the builder? If not, you are probably not in a very good position.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.