I bounced four business checks

Asked over 2 years ago - Delmar, NY

My Business is going bankrupt. I wrote 4 checks this week. They all bounced. I have paid back most of the value in cash to all parties. They continue to threaten to have me arrested if I dont pay quicker but I simply cannot pay quicker. Can I face criminal charges for this?

1. Richard C. Southard

Pro

Answered . If you knew the checks to be bad when you issued them then yes it is a crime. If you receive any calls from detectives asking you to come answer questions, they want to arrest you. You have a 5th Amendment right to remain silent. You should exercise it.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former prosecutor who has over 15 years experience specialzing in criminal law cases.

2. Hayley R. Greenberg

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation. Yes unfortunately. In the future if you can't pay, it is better not to than to write a check w/out sufficient funds.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful.

Our firm has many years of experience in this field.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com

3. Douglas Jay Lineberry

Answered . Issuing a bad check in the State of NY appears to be a class B misdemeanor.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/part3.tk.a...

It's possible that if the prosecutor pursues the matter and a criminal judgment is entered against you that you may also have to pay restitution. The restitution debt probably would not be a debt you can discharge in a bankruptcy, should you end up there.

4. Bryant Keith Martin

Answered . Owing money is not a crime. Passing bad checks is. You must find a way to pay them back. Then don't write any more bad checks.