I bought some shoes and a wire in the shoes stabbed me in the foot, now I cant walk on it. Can I sue?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Anniston, AL

I purchased shoes from a retail store, and a small silver wire stabbed me in the foot. What do I need to do to pursue further action?

1. Jon Ethan Lewis

Answered . You can sue for anything you want to sue for. Unfortunately, that does not mean you should sue. Jurors look at these types of cases with significant skepticism and with good reason given the media attention regarding various types of claims. However, if you suffered an injury because of the wire which required extensive medical treatment such as stitches and surgery, you might want to speak with an attorney about pursuing a claim. I do agree with the writer below, however, your best bet is to discuss the problem with the store and not threaten any type of legal action but ask them if there is something they would be willing to do.

2. Todd D. Schlossberg

Answered . Ouch! I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is understandable that you are upset, and probably at least a little angry, that the store sold you a shoe that had a misplaced wire that stabbed you in the foot. I've had shoes that have hurt, but not that bad! As a general rule, however, a negligence lawsuit is not appropriate unless you have suffered a fairly serious or long-term injury. Lawsuits are very serious matters, and take a good deal of time and money to pursue. Hopefully, your injury -- although very painful at this time -- will heal and resolve on its own fairly soon. If that is the case, you could try to contact the store's owner yourself, and see if you could work out a reasonable, modest settlement (to cover any medical bills, and perhaps a reasonable amount for the pain and impairment you had while you were healing. At the very least, the store should refund the cost of the defective product). If this injury actually turns out to be more serious, and you have a problem that require medical attention, I would urge you to seek medical care. Your health, and doing your best to get better, comes first. If this continues to be a real problem, you should seek out a lawyer who is licensed and focuses on personal injury cases in your state. I hope things work out as well as possible for you.
    Todd

3. Jason Austin Joseph Lundberg

Pro

Answered . Consult with a personal injury lawyer in AL. This may be a case of products liability if the wire was not placed in this shoe but popped out as a result of faulty manufacturing.

Also, as the first contributor, said this depends on what your damages are. Many lawyers will not take personal injury lawsuits where the injury is minor, as may be the case for you. Most personal injury attorney take these cases on contingency fee, which means there is no cost to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.

4. Jason Austin Joseph Lundberg

Pro