I bought services from an online gaming site. I have been scammed by them and would like my money back? How do I approach this?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Port Angeles, WA

I bought an account from an online gaming site. They state on their site that if the account is recovered by the original owner (that sold it to the site) they are responsible for getting it back. they also have in their refund policy that I am entitled to a full refund if I am not satisfied with my purchase. I have lost 3 accounts to this site and they are only offering me partial refund. Can I open up a law suit on this company for false advertising and internet scamming?

1. Michael P Matesky II

Pro

1

1

Answered . It's hard to give a reliable answer from the factual description you have posted, but it sounds like there may be a breach of contract claim at issue (and potentially other claims). However, just because you have a potential claim, doesn't make it a wise decision to file a lawsuit. Lawsuits can (and usually do) get very expensive very fast. If you want to pursue any potential claim, the first thing you should do is consult with an experienced attorney so that they can provide advice based on a full understanding of the facts.

2. Jonathan H Levy

1

1

Answered . Not sure I understand the facts entirely, but assuming this is online gaming and not gambling, buying the accounts likely violates the Terms of Service of the respective accounts. A lawsuit might be possible but likely not worth it unless you are out a significant amount of money.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.
  3. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

1

Answered . This is an area that I have some experience in -- I've gone after several websites that have done this exact same thing with online character/account sales. It depends on the site; it also depends on where the owner is. I'd be happy to discuss further with you directly.