I bought my home prior to getting married and still owe on it, if I get a divorce is my husband entitled to half?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Albany, OR

I bought my house 7 years prior to getting married. I still owe money on it. The loan is only on my name. If I divorce my husband will I have to give him half of the value of the house?

1. William Francis

Answered . In Oregon, the court would divide only the increase in value (if any) that occurred during the time you and your husband have been married.

2. Frederick Scott Islieb

Answered . Not in Georgia, it would be considered a non marital asset since it was purchased prior to the marriage and would not be suject to division in a divorce. Check your states laws.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law that should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.