I bought basketball shoes and upon wearing them on the first day playing basketball they ripped and I was severely hurt

Brooklyn, NY |

I was suppose to play college basketball and while practicing I put on my new pair of FIla basketball shoes I bought from Modell's. For some reason the stiching in the shoe came undone and I fell causing my ankle to sprain, toes to bruise, and surgery on my elbow that damaged my nerve and left a huge 8 inch by 1 inch scar. How much is my case worth? What kind of attorney should I hire? And if Fila and Modell's are liable how long would it take to settle the matter because my medical bills are well over 40,000?

Basically, I want to know what the case "COULD BE POSSIBLY WORTH"!!!!!

Consult a personal injury attorney who handles products liability. I hope you saved the shoes and there's no telling how long the case will last but it likely will not resolve anytime soon.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Yes, but in an approximate value how much "could" the case be worth in your opinion given the facts set forth?

Save the shoes and contact a products liability lawyer. At first blush this sounds like a tough case. Research on Google whether there have been similiar incidents with the same sneakers.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Yes, but once again how much could the case be possible worth?

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Too soon to say.

Hire a personal injury lawyer that handles product liability claims. These cases are tough, and are many times vigorously fought by the manufacturer and/or retail store, so a quick settlement is unlikely. Best of luck

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * Rfinn@hackermurphy.com * http://www.hackermurphy.com/Attorneys/Ryan-M-Finn.shtml * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

You need to speak with a lawyer who handles Products Liability cases.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.

Sounds like you have a potential products liability claim. There are, broadly speaking, 3 different theories of product liability: 1) design defect; 2) manufacturing defect; 3) breach of warranty. With regard to the latter, notwithstanding any written warranty you may have, there is an impied warranty of merchantability/ warranty of fitness in which the seller of goods implicity warranties their good condition for the use intended. It would seem that you could bring a viable claim under theories 2 and/or 3. You would seek recovery of the cost of your medical bills as a component of your damages. As to the value of your case for pain and suffering, it would largely depend on the permanency of your elbow injury and scar. You need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney. Claims for product liability are costsly as you will need to retain an expert. Discovery is often lengthy and complex ( much of it perhaps between the manufacturer and seller) Depending on what county the case is litigated in, the case could easily take 2-3 years to get to trial. My firm handles product liability cases. Good luck to you.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900

Retain a defective products lawyer to investigate this defective shoe case.

No one can tell you now what your damages are worth. Save the damaged basketball shoes and contact a personal injury attorney immediately.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I h e handled similar cases in the past. Save the shoes and all the receipts you may have. You need to have them analyzed by an expert and if there is a manufacturing defect or design defect or if they are in actuality imposter shoes then you have a are against the manufacturer and distributer