I bought a used minivan on Saturday. Faulty transmission diagnosed on Friday. I want my money back or transmission fixed.

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Lemon law Used cars

Engine light came on 1 day after purchase. They test drove it after the diagnosis and said the transmission was just fine. They reset the codes. The engine light came back on 2 days later with the same code. They said I could trade it in for the full value that I paid however, I do not trust them. I would like to get them to give me my money back or fix the transmission.

It was purchased with an As Is agreement.

1. My guess is that they reset the codes just prior to the sale to you. If you have an emissions requirement in NV to get the vehicle registered OR to even sell the vehicle you may be able to hook these guys that way for this apparent fraud. Give Craig Friedberg a call in Las Vegas. He is one of only a handful of attorneys in NV that specializes in consumer protection law and is very good at what he does. Please say hello for me.

2. You've been well-advised by Attorney Kaufman to contact a consumer law attorney immediately. Further, depending on the dealership and other facts such as whether the car is/isn't under warranty, it's often a bad idea to have dealer's mechanic try to fix anything. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: This reponse is for informational purposes only and cannot be treated as legal advice. Legal advice depends on the specific facts of the particular matter at issue. Accordingly, you should not rely on or act on any information provided herein without consulting with legal counsel that is licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Office of Arthur J. Obolsky.

3. I agree with Mr. Kaufman that this sounds like something tricky was going on in order to pass a state inspection, although maybe it was just to make the car look good to you, the buyer, in order to get you to sign. I agree with your instincts to not trade the vehicle in and purchase another from this dealership, I cannot imagine this resetting the codes was an innocent accident. I would recommend you copy all your paperwork from the sale, write out good notes from the sale and your later communications with the dealership, and call a local consumer attorney. Best of luck to you.

The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Hill Country Consumer Law ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Ms. Kleinpeter nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims.

4. Jump to: navigation, search

Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars in order to compensate for cars that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance. These vehicles are called lemons. The federal lemon law (the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act) protects citizens of all states. State lemon laws vary by state and may not necessarily cover used or leased cars. The rights afforded to consumers by lemon laws may exceed the warranties expressed in purchase contracts. Lemon law is the common nickname for these laws, but each state has different names for the laws and acts.

Federal lemon laws cover anything mechanical. The federal lemon law also provides that the warranter may be obligated to pay the prevailing party's attorney in a successful lemon law suit, as do most state lemon laws.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Lemon law topics