I bought a used car 3 months ago, it broke down on highways 2 times, and been in the shop every other week.

Lawrenceville, GA |
Filed under: Lemon law Used cars

I purchased a used car 3 months ago from a local dealership. It broke down 2 times on the highways. They have been, they fix their own cars, fixing the car every other week. In the 3 months of ownership, the car been back in their shop the total of 4 times and each time would take them at least 1 week to fix. The car is currently back in their shop. It was supposed to be ready by last Thursday, which I just got it back from their shop from the previous week. This time the car been in there one week and one day. I tried calling them, no one seems to pick up the phone or bother to call me back. Can I get my money back?

Maybe. Did you get any warranty with the car? or with the repair work being done? In a used car sale, your legal rights are mostly determined by the paperwork that you sign. Look to see if anything was written down about any kind of warranty or guarantee or right to cancel the deal. But that’s not the end of it. There’s also a federal law that requires all car dealers to post on the window of all used cars they are selling a special “Buyer Guide” form (it’s often called a Used Car Window Sticker) that discloses whether or not a warranty comes with the car. Many small lot car dealers don’t comply with the law. If they don’t, then you may end up with a warranty after all and you may even have the right to cancel the sale. The back side of the form has to be completely filled out and many car lots, big and small, fail to do that too and that can also trigger your right to cancel the deal. You can see what the Buyer Guide form looks like on this web site page: http://ohiolemonlaw.com/used-car-lemon-law.html . You need to talk to a local Consumer Law attorney who deals with this kind of case (it's called "autofraud" or car sales fraud). Call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Consumer Law attorney near you or you can go to this web site page for a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers (http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/ocll-site/ocll-locate_local.shtml) and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, NACA.net). But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Consumer Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please check the box below.

Lemon law topics