I bought a truck , had title transferred by Secretary of State , and it was reposed ? What can I do ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I bought a truck from a business that is now closed . They transferred title to me . I did the transfer and registration paperwork with the Secretary of State . A few months later , a tow truck came and reposed the truck saying the truck has money that is owed on it . Apparently whoever had truck before owed someone money . I cannot track down the people who sold the truck to me and they are now closed . What can I do ? Why would the secretary of State transfer the title over and everything is money was owed , aren't they supped to check these things ?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You should see a business attorney right away. If you have clear title from the state you should get the truck back. Perfection of a security interest in titled vehicles requires that the lien appear on the title. It's Saturday, if the towing company is open today I would give them a copy of your clear title on the truck today and put them on notice of the wrongful order to hook the truck. If you don't have the truck back by Monday, I would talk to local counsel.

    You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents,... more

Related Topics

Cosigners and bankruptcy

Cosigners can run into trouble if the borrower declares bankruptcy. An automatic stay won't help a cosigner, but some bankruptcy chapters offer codebtor stays.

Thomas O. Moens

Thinking of Co-Signing a Loan?

Many people have a misconception that as a co-signer, you are not responsible for the debt, or you are less responsible than the primary borrower. Unfortunately, co-signers are just as... more

Property repossession

Property repossession can happen if you are behind in your payments. Creditors are not required to send notice before they repossess your property or vehicle.

Robert Franklin Dean

Vehicle Repossessions in Maryland

Car dealers and other merchants dealing in very valuable goods who allow customers to finance their purchases usually keep a security interest in the goods they sell. If the purchaser... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,764 answers this week

3,509 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,764 answers this week

3,509 attorneys answering