I bought a software program where I can create my own will. What is my next step?

Manchester, CT |

I'm young, single, and own my own home. I thought creating a will would be easy so I purchased the software. After I create my own will, do I need to have it notarized and filed with the town? I'm not sure of my next step. What am I missing?

Also, what's the difference between a living will and a will. Do I need to file these separately?

1. A living will and a will are two separate documents. Your will, as you know, is a document that indicates how you want your property disposed of at your death. The living will is a document that you may have heard referred to as an Advanced Health Care Directive or a DNR. It let's your doctor and your family know what kind of care you would like to have if you become unable to make medical decisions. It can indicate, for example, that you do not want to be resuscitated if it is determined that you are in a coma and your condition is termial.

For Connecticut, you need two witnesses on your will. You don't necessarily need it notarized, but it is a good idea. It will help prove the validity of the will later.

You don't need to file your will with your town. Just keep it in a safe place. Let the person you indicated as the Administrator or Executor where it is.

There are plenty of software programs that can prepare a will, but it is always a good idea to consult an attorney (especially if you have a complicated estate). The wording of the will is very important.