I bought a house with title insurance only to find out later that there is a lien on the property. What do I do now?

Longmont, CO |
Filed under: Lien

I contacted the title company and spent two weeks just to get contact and they don't want anything to do with me..

I also contacted the H.O.A. who put the lien on and they act like I am a cancer. They are angry and vindictive

Was the lien filed before the closing on the property? If so, then review your title insurance and file a claim. If the title company will not honor the claim, then you need to meet with an attorney who handles insurance bad faith claims. You may have to sue the title company.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

The lien was filed almost 5 months previous to the closing..

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

Review your title commitment, but unless the lien was specifically identified and excepted from the commitment, the title company is responsible for paying the lien. File a title claim and if they don't pay, meet with an insurance bad faith attorney.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt