I bought a house on a private street. what are my rights and responsiblities. children access to go to school can they?

Jackson, MS |

was a blinking sign that said private stree, dead end. also the dead end is baracaded so no cars can go thru. vandals keep knocking sign down. is this tresspassing. since the children have been using my street as a shortcut for more than 10 years, can i stop it. there are five residents on the street can we close it off.

There is not enough information to provide a complete answer.

One would need to know if there are any easements, rights of way or other documents granting use of the roadway to others.

You mention that there are five families who use the private street, I can only surmise that you each have an easement to use the street and you would need the agreement of all five to take any action affecting the easement.

There are also issues of liability - you could be liable for slip and fall and other personal injuries for those using the roadway.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

The only way to answer this is for you to bring your deed to an attorney experienced in real estate. There are very few truly "private" streets. Its status will be determined by the applicable land records on file with the Chancery Clerk's office. It will be complicated and only an attorney can help guide you through this.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, is based upon the limited facts provided by you, which are assumed to be true and accurate. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Civil rights topics