I bought a house on a private street. what are my rights and responsiblities. children access to go to school can they?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jackson, MS

was a blinking sign that said private stree, dead end. also the dead end is baracaded so no cars can go thru. vandals keep knocking sign down. is this tresspassing. since the children have been using my street as a shortcut for more than 10 years, can i stop it. there are five residents on the street can we close it off.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Walker Burrow

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The only way to answer this is for you to bring your deed to an attorney experienced in real estate. There are very few truly "private" streets. Its status will be determined by the applicable land records on file with the Chancery Clerk's office. It will be complicated and only an attorney can help guide you through this.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only, is based upon the limited facts provided by you, which... more
  2. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . There is not enough information to provide a complete answer.

    One would need to know if there are any easements, rights of way or other documents granting use of the roadway to others.

    You mention that there are five families who use the private street, I can only surmise that you each have an easement to use the street and you would need the agreement of all five to take any action affecting the easement.

    There are also issues of liability - you could be liable for slip and fall and other personal injuries for those using the roadway.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Easements and land use law

An easement is a right to enter or use someone else's property for a specific reason. It remains in force even if the property is sold and is also transferable.

Raymond Richard Michalski

Know Your Boundaries

Now that the residential real estate market is showing some signs of recovery, it's a good time to review some tips about buying and selling a home. Usually, home sales involve important... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,971 answers this week

2,772 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,971 answers this week

2,772 attorneys answering