I blieve my ex-spouse is blackmailing me. I asked him to sign adoption paper and he never answered back.

Asked over 1 year ago - Stockton, CA

He was never part of my son's life. He is deliquent in child support and is abusive . He wrote me on facebook from someone else's account stating "This message is from a friend. You should of did it a couple of years ago when I wanted you to, but you were greedy and lied to me and did me wrong. If you really want those papers signed so bad. All I'm asking for is $15,000 to sign them. I already know your answer. So see you soon ". Do I have a chance of getting the adoption papers signed? Since clearly it all about money to him.

Additional information

Do I need to get the police invovled?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Erin Patricia Farley

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Hire an attorney and take this evidence with you!

  2. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Based just on what you have written here, this will not cause police interest or a criminal investigation or prosecution. But it may be very potent evidence in your family law and/or adoption proceeding.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. Edna Carroll Straus

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . If I were a judge I would not admit such "evidence" for any purpose. It cannot be authenticated and proves nothing.If a judge decides to terminate biodad's parental rights--making his consent moot--it will be based on abandonment, not Facebook posts.

    Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,249 answers this week

3,086 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,249 answers this week

3,086 attorneys answering