I blieve my ex-spouse is blackmailing me. I asked him to sign adoption paper and he never answered back.

Stockton, CA |

He was never part of my son's life. He is deliquent in child support and is abusive . He wrote me on facebook from someone else's account stating "This message is from a friend. You should of did it a couple of years ago when I wanted you to, but you were greedy and lied to me and did me wrong. If you really want those papers signed so bad. All I'm asking for is $15,000 to sign them. I already know your answer. So see you soon ". Do I have a chance of getting the adoption papers signed? Since clearly it all about money to him.

Do I need to get the police invovled?

1. Hire an attorney and take this evidence with you!

2. Based just on what you have written here, this will not cause police interest or a criminal investigation or prosecution. But it may be very potent evidence in your family law and/or adoption proceeding.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. If I were a judge I would not admit such "evidence" for any purpose. It cannot be authenticated and proves nothing.If a judge decides to terminate biodad's parental rights--making his consent moot--it will be based on abandonment, not Facebook posts.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: ECSEsquire@AOL.com. All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.