I believe this attempt to collect a debt is a scam.

Asked 10 months ago - San Francisco, CA

This number 844-767-8544, calling themselves the Lincoln Group, called my ex-mother in law about some Wells Fargo account from 5 years ago they claimed I owe $600 on. They said they'd been sending correspondence to an address in Los Angeles I haven't lived at since 2009. Wells Fargo doesn't have this case info but they said if real, it would've been sold since then. The guy on the phone refused to send me anything in the mail over before I talk about a payment plan. (They had the last four digits of my SSN), saying they've complied on their part. They've sent me an email with a payment plan I need to agree to by 3/17. They said they had a "temporary hearing" scheduled for April 10. I have no recollection of this debt or overbalance, and cannot find it on my credit report. What can I do?

1. Blake Owen Brewer

6

Answered . Yes it has all the earmarks of a scam, it is not the way a legitimate debt collector would proceed.
    You can file a complaint with your state attorney general. Or use the link below to file a complaint and find out about your rights with debt collectors.

2. Albert R. Limberg

Pro

3

1

Answered . This has the earmarks of improper debt collection. If it is your account (and not hers), the collector should not be disclosing information about the debt to your ex-mother in law. If you have indeed been sued, you should have received notice through service of process. If there is a hearing, you should have received notice of that as well. However, it is a good idea to go to the court's website to see if your name comes up in a party search. If you have not been sued, the collector should not be making references to a hearing. Depending on when the last payment on the account occurred, it may be beyond the statute of limitations.

3. Miguel Angel Iniguez

3

Answered . If this is a real debt they should be able to validate it for you. If they initiated a lawsuit and there is in fact a hearing, you should have been given proper notice but I suspect this is also false however, you should look up your name on a local county court website to be sure that you are not a party to a lawsuit. Lastly, you are well within your right to request that they stop contacting you or you may request that the only contact they have with you be in writing. Once you give them this ultimatum, a scam collector may change their minds about creating evidence that could lead to counter lawsuit or violations of debt collection acts.