I believe my Uncle was offered a deal before trial. How do I find out if the Prosecution offered him a deal?

Philadelphia, PA |

I believe trial counsel may have not told me about a deal that was offered to my Uncle. How can I find out through the correct procedures if he was offered a deal.

Trial counsel's obligation is to your uncle. The rules of attorney/client privilege may preclude him from sharing this information. Ask your uncle.

Counsel has failed to provide him and numerous lawyers we hired the information over and over.

Permission has been given to counsel in written agreement to include me in all legal work.

Mark Copoulos

Mark Copoulos

Contact my office at 267.535.9776 with further questions.

If you are a co defendant, you are entitled to know what the other defendant was offered.

Unless, as indicated by Mr. Keller, you are a co-defendant you ate not entitled to that information and his counsel is clearly not obligated to talk to you about the matter. Your uncle can share that with you if he so chooses.

I agree with my colleagues. I am uncertain about why you are asking this. The only person that he should convey the offer to is his client, your uncle. Failure to tell you is of no consequence. If he failed to convey it to your uncle, then there is an issue.

Michael L. Doyle
(215) 900-5565

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

Why do you think I'm asking counsel I know the procedure of Attorney-Client Privilege. He obviously want to know if he had a deal offer?

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

If by the word "he" you mean your uncle then he (your uncle) should ask counsel.

Counsel currently doesn't want to answer questions because a claim of ineffective assistance of counsel been bought against him.

Michael Lawrence Doyle

Michael Lawrence Doyle

The manner in which you asked your first question indicated that you were not aware of attorney-client privilege, so I needed to inform you. There is no requirement for the District Attorney to provide an offer. They very well may not have done so. He can write to the District Attorney to find out if an offer was conveyed. In Philadelphia, they have begun providing paperwork showing what the offer was and it is supposed to be signed by the Defendant if rejected. They would not respond to you, but they may to him.

I agree, the DA nor your uncle's lawyer have no obligation to tell you. If you are a co-defendant, your lawyer can find out.