I believe my husband married me for his green card. I want a divorce now and can't find him. How long will divorce take now?

Asked almost 5 years ago - San Antonio, TX

We were married in his country of Tunisia in Aug 2007 and it was all legal. It took us 1 1/2 years to get him here after we married, through all the visa process. I am American. I had to file our marriage also with the court house here just so they would give me my drivers license with my new name. I moved to Texas in July 2008 and he arrived here in Feb 2009. He got his green card in Dec 2009. He has left now and I do not know where he is. He may still work at the same job but I have not inquired. I am to the point I no longer care. I just want divorced. Our life together was full of conflict and arguments. How long will a divorce take since I do not know where he is? If he still may be at the same job and I can find him how long will it take? We have no property or children.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Edgardo Rafael Baez

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Give us a call (210) 979-9777 we can help you.

  2. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should consult with a local divorce lawyer. He'll be able to hire a process server to locate and serve your husband and guide you through the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,991 answers this week

2,685 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,991 answers this week

2,685 attorneys answering