I believe I need to file the form I-485, but I am not sure if it is too late.

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

My parents received permanent resident status about one and a half years ago. They didn't take me to the interview because at the time of approval, I was over 21. We later learned that I could have gotten through. I wanted to know if, after so long, I can still file for an adjustment of status. I am currently in the US on an H1-B visa. I filed the form once a few months ago, but it was returned because I didn't have the approval letter. I don't want to spend an extra $400 to request the letter if this avenue is no longer a possibility. Is it too late to go through with this?

1. Gintare Grigaite

5

Answered . There are a lot more questions that need to be known to answer your question properly. It would be best if you could invest into making a formal consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who could give you a proper advise based on your specific situation. You should bring all of your parents applications and approvals with you to the interview.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

6

Answered . Maybe. You need to take what papers you have to an immigration lawyer ... yes, you will have to pay a small consultation fee.

That person can give you the assurance you need.

3. Jeffrey N Lisnow

3

Answered . Many factors go into that answer. Consult with an attorney who can guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

4. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

2

Answered . I-485 is to adjust status to Lawful Permanent Resident but you need a basis of approval. If you have LPR parents they should be able to sponsor you by I-130 petition for alien relative then you file I-485 or do it together to save time. Do you have criminal history?

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
    “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com