I believe I need to file the form I-485, but I am not sure if it is too late.

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

My parents received permanent resident status about one and a half years ago. They didn't take me to the interview because at the time of approval, I was over 21. We later learned that I could have gotten through. I wanted to know if, after so long, I can still file for an adjustment of status. I am currently in the US on an H1-B visa. I filed the form once a few months ago, but it was returned because I didn't have the approval letter. I don't want to spend an extra $400 to request the letter if this avenue is no longer a possibility. Is it too late to go through with this?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a lot more questions that need to be known to answer your question properly. It would be best if you could invest into making a formal consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who could give you a proper advise based on your specific situation. You should bring all of your parents applications and approvals with you to the interview.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Maybe. You need to take what papers you have to an immigration lawyer ... yes, you will have to pay a small consultation fee.

    That person can give you the assurance you need.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Jeffrey N Lisnow

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many factors go into that answer. Consult with an attorney who can guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case... more
  4. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I-485 is to adjust status to Lawful Permanent Resident but you need a basis of approval. If you have LPR parents they should be able to sponsor you by I-130 petition for alien relative then you file I-485 or do it together to save time. Do you have criminal history?

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.


    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,638 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,638 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering