I believe I may be working in a harassment/ hostile work environment but how do I know?

Tulsa, OK |

Recently, about 3 weeks ago I was accused (yelled at, not asked if I knew anything of the missing medications but accused) of stealing medications from the clinic I worked at, I was drug tested and came out clean. After which, I was told I couldn't touch any drugs or use them. I was also demoted to a job that I hadn't been hired for but someone with a lesser degree than I could be doing. I went to Human Recourses with how I felt and that I was not comfortable speaking with my supervisor any longer about these problems and I was told that I should feel comfortable talking with my supervisor and the way I was spoken to was justifiable. This has caused undo stress on me and I recently had an anxiety attack while at work, at that time I had to undergo another drug test again.

I do hold an RN license and am unsure if I should contact the nursing board about this problem since I do feel that it will add more stress when I know they aren't there to help me as a nurse. I went to the Human Resources manager letting him know that I was not comfortable speaking with my supervisor or going to him for anything. I was then told that I should feel comfortable speaking with my supervisor because he is my supervisor and I should take all problems or complaints to him.

If you hold any type of license, i.e., nursing license you may want to make sure you are not going to be reported to the Nursing Board. When you spoke to your Human Resources Director were you asking about the process for drug testing or how you were treated? If you actually were complaining about harassment then then the Human Resources Director should be conducting a confidential investigation. It just seems like in your question there are a lot of issues going on, drug testing, harassment/hostile work environment, discrimination. You may be able to get on line and look at the EEOC website to find out if what is happening to you falls into any of the categories of discrimination listed on their website.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.