I believe I am being treated unfairly at work/discriminated against.

Asked over 5 years ago - Magnolia, TX

My fears were confirmed when my boss called me into her office, she pulled out a note pad of "instances" she wanted to ask me about. I found out she asked all my co-workers to watch me and report back to her my work performance. I feel this is a violation of my privacy as an individual to have been scrutinized by all I work with. She was stating that I take "too long" helping customers (I am the oldest one there, 44yrs old).

Another instance of my being treated differently, is the fact that our company doesn't want overtime, so I was told to "adjust my hours accordingly", and when I did adjust (come in later to offset working over), now she is saying I have been late for work, and plans to write me up for these instances.

No one else has been repremanded in this way, and I know that another girl has came in late many times without them harrassing her.

I really feel I am working in a hostile workplace, I cannot trust anyone I work with and would like to know my options.

Pleae advise

1. Charles Heard

Answered . Texas is a "Right To Work" state. What that means in practical terms is that you can be fired for any reason...or no reason at all. You have the right to take your skills, talent, time, etc. anywhere you wish, on the other hand.

If you work for a lousy boss, the best revenge is to find a better position. On the facts you provided, a lawsuit is very unlikely to prevail.

2. Edgardo Rafael Baez

Answered . The Age Discrimination Act of 1975 prohibits discrimination on the basis of age in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance. The Act, which applies to all ages, permits the use of certain age distinctions and factors other than age that meet the Act's requirements. The Age Discrimination Act is enforced by the Civil Rights Center.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects certain applicants and employees 40 years of age and older from discrimination on the basis of age in hiring, promotion, discharge, compensation, or terms, conditions or privileges of employment.

If you feel that you have been discriminated against, you have rights. First, you must contact your regional EEOC, make an appointment, and tell them the situation. After that, contact an attorney capable of handling discrimination cases.