I been here since age 4, i have permant residence, i want to apply for citizenship, but i have 9 criminal convictions

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

at one time in my life i was on drugs, homeless, was in a bad relationship , ect.. can u please help me with this matter?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . you will need to obtain certified copies of all nine criminal convictions and then consult with an immigration attorney on your options. Much better chance for a succccessful citizenship application if the convictions are more than five years old and you have good strong evidence of your rehabilitation. You also need to make sure that nione of these or the combination make you subject to removal.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  2. Jeff L. Khurgel


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I commend you on planning for your future, but make sure you consult with a qualified attorney about this. Filing for citizenship with the history you describe may cause detention and removal.

    Former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleagues are correct. Get certified copies of every piece of paper in your court files and make an appointment to talk to an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,019 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,019 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering