Skip to main content

I been estraged for 14 years is he intitle to my ira if we get divorce

Brandon, FL |

Include background information that will enable lawyers to answer your question.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


How long were you married. Normally the amount that accumulated during the marriage is marital asset. We need MORE info to answer this question. Contact a family law attorney in your area for a consultation.


I agree with the other attorney. More information is needed before this question can be properly answered. As such, I suggest that you contact a divorce attorney in your area for a consultation.


The cut off date is the date of separation however from the date of marriage to the date of separation if the IRA was active and contributed to by you then yes.


Let me see.... you stayed married for 14 years and now you want to know if he is entitled to property accumulated during the marriage, even though you didn't live with him all that time.....Great question, and difficult, too, because the court will have very little choice about the length of the marriage, and very little choice about determining when the property was accumulated.... But there is something that might help you, and that is the court does have discretion about the date of valuation of assets.... talk to a good divorce lawyer right away, ma'am, very important in a case like this. Much is at stake.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer