I backed into a car last night and was unaware of it police came to my home this morning and gave me 2 ticket 40-6-271 & 40-6-24

Columbus, GA |

It was dark on a very bad side of town i wasn't aware of hitting the other car is there anything i can do to get this removed and get the points removed? I'm 25 have a good job and never been in any trouble. Please advise

A no contest plea could avoid points or a reduction in charges. There are other methods as well. Hire a local lawyer to help you negotiate the resolution your desire.

(404) 333-0706. http://www.georgecreal.com No legal advice should be obtained from this response alone. This response is a matter of attorney opinion only. George C. Creal, Jr., P.C. is Georgia Professional Corporation authorized to practice law in the State of Georgia only and all information contained in this response is intended for use for DUI/DWIs occurring in the State of Georgia. Individuals with DUI/DWIs from outside the State of Georgia should contact a licensed attorney in the state of occurrence of their DUI.

If no one was in the vehicle you struck they charged you incorrectly by charging you with Hit and Run 40-6-271. In order for there to be a hit and run you have to strike an "attended" vehicle meaning someone was in it, or near it. They should have charged you with 40-6-273 Failure to Report An Accident. In either event, you should meet with the prosecutor and see about getting the charges reduced so they won't go on your record. Also, be very careful with the hit and run charge because it will suspend your driver's license if you are convicted or plead guilty to it.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Traffic tickets topics