I backed into a car last night and was unaware of it police came to my home this morning and gave me 2 ticket 40-6-271 & 40-6-24

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, GA

It was dark on a very bad side of town i wasn't aware of hitting the other car is there anything i can do to get this removed and get the points removed? I'm 25 have a good job and never been in any trouble. Please advise

1. George Chadwell Creal Jr.

1

Answered . A no contest plea could avoid points or a reduction in charges. There are other methods as well. Hire a local lawyer to help you negotiate the resolution your desire.

2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

Answered . If no one was in the vehicle you struck they charged you incorrectly by charging you with Hit and Run 40-6-271. In order for there to be a hit and run you have to strike an "attended" vehicle meaning someone was in it, or near it. They should have charged you with 40-6-273 Failure to Report An Accident. In either event, you should meet with the prosecutor and see about getting the charges reduced so they won't go on your record. Also, be very careful with the hit and run charge because it will suspend your driver's license if you are convicted or plead guilty to it.