I authored a business presentation that was well received by my superiors. How can I 'copyright' the material?

Asked about 2 years ago - Irvine, CA

I would like to prevent other managers within the company from 'stealing' my business presentation material and using it as their own. How can I do this? Is this even possible?

1. Pamela Koslyn

12

Answered . You can't, and no it's not possible.

Have you got a written employment agreement with your employers? If so, then chances are very good the employer owns the presentation, not you, since you likely signed the results and proceeds of all work done while on the job to them.

Even if you don't have a written employment agreement, if you did this in the course and scope of your employment, and it sure sounds like you did, agency and copyright law say that your employer owns the results of your work for them. It wouldn't matter if another manager within the company used "your" presentation, since it's the company that owns it.

2. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . As Ms. Koslyn points out, wihtout a written agreement materials prepared for your employment and paid for through your employment belong to your employer.

3. John E. Whitaker

4

Answered . The presentation itself is copyrighted just because you created it. You could register the copyright, but I don't think it would help you. As an employee, your employer owns the work and can do anything with it, including let others use it.

John Whitaker
    Whitaker Law Group
    1218 Third Ave; Suite 1809

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Answered . You cannot "copyright" it. That copyright went to your company automatically upon your creation of it as an employee of your company and it now belongs to your company, not you. The company owns the copyright as a "work-for-hire." The company can do whatever it wants with it. The only way it would be possible for you to obtain the copyright is if the company agrees to give you exclusive rights to it. While a win might be in the cards for the STL Cards, it's not in the cards for you.

5. Ray Beckerman

Pro

1

Answered . There is a lot of additional information I would need to answer your question, but if you own it you can copyright it, and if the company owns it the company can copyright it.