I attend Full Sail University On line . Now the school is trying to take away my scholarship !

Miami, FL |

In my estimated financial aid award letter, it shows that the scholarship is pending. However, I was assured by my financial aid advisor that everything was okay. I also pay a portion of my tuition out of pockets via monthly installments. I received an email yesterday from a different person introducing herself as my new financial aid advisor. She tells me that I was "initially awarded the Student Success Scholarship" which I shouldn't have been. So now I will have to get a private loan, pay out of pocket, or try to find a grant or scholarship somewhere on my own. Is there anything I can do to fight this? Although, I don't have a written document stating that I was awarded the scholarship, it said pending. She herself wrote that I was "initially awarded". Does that count for anything?

It sounds like there is a revolving door of "financial aid advisors" at this school. I don't believe this school is accredited, so there aren't the normal checks and balances that occur in most accredited universities. Bottom line - if the status of a scholarship is "pending" it means it has not been awarded. Period. Verbal assurances by persons that may not be there next week or month cannot be relied upon. Did they give you a reason the scholarship was not awarded? If the school is not accredited, it most likely will not qualify for Pell Grants, although you can try that as a route. Additionally, it may be too late for application for the grants. You should find a civil litigation attorney who will review your contract with the school to see what your options are.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

They never gave me a reason why.

Thanks for the advice.

The school is supposed to be nationally accredited. By saying that they aren't accredited, do you mean that they aren't regionally accredited? I'm not sure I fully understand the differences.

Carol Anne Johnson

Carol Anne Johnson

As to the accreditation, they are nationally recognized by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (which is an agency recognized by the US Dept. of Ed), but not regionally nor by the better-known National Association of Schools of Art and Design. What that means is that many traditional colleges will not accept any credits earned at Full Sail, should you decide to continue your education past an associate's degree earned at Full Sail. There is an interesting article that discusses their dismal financial aid to students that you can find here: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/01/24/romney-right-about-full-sail-university

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law