I arrived here as fiance visa and my bf dont want to proceed with the marriage he found another woman

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

what can i do? is there a ground to sue him for the pain and suffering and the shame i am experiencing now

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

2. Peter Lunt Ashman

2

Best Answer

Answered . As a law professor told me way back in school, "you can always sue anybody... question is can you win and will it be worth it?" So you may be able to sue him on a contract theory, and show what you gave up to come to the U.S. in reliance on his promise to get married. Unless your losses are extreme, like you left your job as Nicaragua's top t.v. anchorwoman or left medical school with a semester to go, I don't really see an adequate damages possibility. Also, I'm thinking a judge/jury would say that you assumed the risk because not all engagements or even marriages work out. But my colleagues are all correct in that under the terms of the fiancee visa, you will have to leave if you don't marry the petitioning fiance. Sorry.

3. Nicklaus James Misiti

3

Answered . You must depart from the US.

4. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Pro

2

Answered . Not to my knowledge. This is a risk you took coming into the us.