I arrived here as fiance visa and my bf dont want to proceed with the marriage he found another woman

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

what can i do? is there a ground to sue him for the pain and suffering and the shame i am experiencing now

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . As a law professor told me way back in school, "you can always sue anybody... question is can you win and will it be worth it?" So you may be able to sue him on a contract theory, and show what you gave up to come to the U.S. in reliance on his promise to get married. Unless your losses are extreme, like you left your job as Nicaragua's top t.v. anchorwoman or left medical school with a semester to go, I don't really see an adequate damages possibility. Also, I'm thinking a judge/jury would say that you assumed the risk because not all engagements or even marriages work out. But my colleagues are all correct in that under the terms of the fiancee visa, you will have to leave if you don't marry the petitioning fiance. Sorry.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must depart from the US.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more
  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not to my knowledge. This is a risk you took coming into the us.

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,668 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,668 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering