I applied for the wrong visa for my wife.

Asked over 1 year ago - Bridgeton, MO

Following the wrong advice, I applied for a B1/B2 visa for my wife using the online DS-160 and what I should have applied for was a K3 visa as I am a US citizen. I was told to get the B1/B2 they apply for an adjustment after we are in the States, but now I found out that process can make getting the green card even more difficult. Our I-130 has been received and I am about to send out the I-129f. Do I need to cancel the B2 before I apply for the K3 or is it possible to have both? If I should cancel how do I do that, I can’t find anything on the USCIS website. Or should I just leave it alone and just cancel the B1/B2 appointment since we haven’t received it yet?

Thank you, all!

I would get a lawyer but we are still in Japan, but I do plan to at least get a consult as soon as I get to the States in a few weeks.
I talked with the embassy visa section and canceled the B1/B2 appointment. They said since we have not been issued the B1/B2 visa yet, we could cancel the application by canceling the appointment. Now, hopefully we should be able to move forward with the K3 visa process.

1. Nicklaus James Misiti

7

Answered . It sounds like you really need to hire an attorney. It will save you a lot of time and probably some mistaken filing fees. It is not possible to advise you on exactly what need to be done to bring your wife here on a forum such as this. My firm handles these types of claims.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

5

1

Answered . You're better off retaining counsel to fix this issue and represent you through the remainder of the process.