I applied for naturalization without stating that i am married in my country back in 2009. Will it affect my application?

Birmingham, AL |

Prior to my application for naturallization, me and my husband already decided to file our annulment in the Philippines where we got married and where he still lives right now. I didnt see any reason why I need to put my married status in my application since we were not married in the States and he doesnt live here. Will it affect my application for citizenship. I just had my biometric done last week. Thank you

1. It could. Depends on many factors, like how you got lpr status in the first place. If it was through marriage, you could have a big problem.

Consult with a competent attorney or BIA-accredited representative to advise how to proceed.

Daniel Green, Esq.
    845-853-7302/347-245-7078
    Serving the Hudson Valley, Northeast, and the World Beyond
    www.hudsonvalleyimmigrationlaw.com
    lawyer@hudsonvalleyimmigrationlaw.com
    Location: 684 Aaron Court, Kingston, NY
    Mailing Address: PO Box 3238, Kingston, NY 12402

This answer should not be construed as legal advice and should not be relied on to take any action whatsoever; neither does it create a lawyer-client relationship.

2. This will most likely come up during your naturalization interview, as you will be asked whether you were previously married. You will have the opportunity to explain your situation, and the officer will amend your answer if needed, but you should have a copy of the divorce once you go to the interview. If you will continue to undisclose this information, you application may be denied due to a finding of fraud. Please consult an experienced immigration attorney on this issue.

Contact Shokry G. Abdelsayed, Esq. at 201-471-7989. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form an attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

3. Your marriage is recognized in the states. Did you leave out this information when you filed for a green card? This could cause you a problem. This would be considered lying. Go consult with an immigration lawyer right away to help you.

4. Until the judgment of annulment of your marriage is entered by a judge in the Philippines, you are still considered married, wherever you are.

How did you obtain your green card? Was it through marriage to a U.S. citizen or family member? If it was through marriage or an F-2B petition, non-disclosure of the information could be troublesome. If your marital status was not material to your previous green card application, non-disclosure in your application for naturalization is not fatal but do not forget to correct/explain the information when you go for your naturaization interview.

Mary Carmen R. Madrid Crost can be reached at the: Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud and share this web site: www.stopnotariofraud.org.

5. Yes, it can. Why did you leave it out? Any kind of omission looks very suspicious to USCIS. I would make sure you contact an attorney to review all your filings including any visas and green card and attend the interview with you.

Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com