I applied for initial EAD based on pending asylum application and now 6 weeks have passed.

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Dear all, I have Few questions
1. I applied for initial EAD more than 6 weeks ago while the EAD processing time for pending asylum cases was 3 weeks. I called the national service center with the number on the receipt and they told me to wait and if they do not mail a decision within 75 days, they told me to contact them again. and shall I wait or what shall I do now?.
2. My initial application has C/o (in care of name) and my recent EAD application has no name in C/o and I put the correspondence in my name but the address is the same. Shall I notify them? and does it affect mailing of decisions?. Do I also need to hire attorney at this point? Thank you and May God bless you all!!

Today it is more than 190 days( applied after waiting 150 days) since I applied for asylum and 43 days since for Employment authorization. Some service centers are quicker to process in the processing time frame set by USCIS. And thank you for your comprehensive advice again.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You should wait.
    No.
    You should have hired an attorney to begin with. You should do that as soon as possible. Asylum is way too complicated to do it on your own.

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

4

Answered . 1. Employment authorization may NOT be granted before 180 days after the date the asylum application was filed. You are allowed to submit the EAD application once the asylum application has been pending for 150 days but DHS will not issue the EAD until at least 30 days later, for a total of 180 days. If you fit under this regulation, the only to do now is to wait.
    2. As long as the name and address is the same, there should be no problem. It is always a good idea to have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

4

Answered . If you are applying for asylum before USCIS you generally will have to wait at least 150 days until you are eligible to apply for the EAD. If your case has been pending more than 180 days without a decision then you may be eligible for the EAD. Be advised you need to consult with an excellent attorney who has a lot of experience and has experience handling asylum cases. If you are waiting and otherwise eligible, schedule an infopass. In any event, search Avvo for an excellent attorney. The "asylum clock" issue is very complicated so seek help.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . 43 days is not long to wait for the EAD. The processing times posted by CIS are only estimates.