I applied for citizenship and got arrested month after when i went for interview was told to wait for the decision from court.

Pleasantville, NJ |

Hello, today i went for my citizenship interview and i applied for it back in July and in august i got arrested for 2c:5-2A and 2c:20-4. Both of these cases will get dismissed so should i rush to get it dismissed first or just wait? I was told by the rep at the interview time that since i applied in July and this happened in August i should be ok and he will get approved from supervisor and they will send me letter for my oath since i passed rest of the stuff, is that true?

Thank you very much in advance.

Most likely you will get a notice telling you to submit dispositions or withholding a decision on your application. Since the arrest happened after your application, you are not at risk of being accused of lying on your application, but they will not approve your citizenship while you have an open criminal charge or if you are convicted. I hope you have a lawyer for the criminal charges. Nothing is ever certain to be dismissed in criminal court.

Thank you for replying sir, yes i do have an attorney for the criminal charge. I should be going to court soon for the matter so i should just wait on the decision from the court first before i do anything about the immigration matter right? Once again thank you

I agree with Mr. Mark

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.