I applied for citizenship and got arrested month after when i went for interview was told to wait for the decision from court.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pleasantville, NJ

Hello, today i went for my citizenship interview and i applied for it back in July and in august i got arrested for 2c:5-2A and 2c:20-4. Both of these cases will get dismissed so should i rush to get it dismissed first or just wait? I was told by the rep at the interview time that since i applied in July and this happened in August i should be ok and he will get approved from supervisor and they will send me letter for my oath since i passed rest of the stuff, is that true?

Thank you very much in advance.

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

4

1

Answered . Most likely you will get a notice telling you to submit dispositions or withholding a decision on your application. Since the arrest happened after your application, you are not at risk of being accused of lying on your application, but they will not approve your citizenship while you have an open criminal charge or if you are convicted. I hope you have a lawyer for the criminal charges. Nothing is ever certain to be dismissed in criminal court.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Mark

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . I, too, agree.