I applied for asylum and was denied. Case transferred to NY from another jurisdiction for removal, but I got married. I-130?

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

I applied for asylum and was denied last year. My case was transferred to NY from another jurisdiction for removal, but I got married. Should I go ahead and file for my I-130 right now through my spouse? Should I also do the I-485 now or should i file that after removal proceedings are done?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire an immigration attorney or risk facing removal proceedings on your own.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Mark Robert Barr

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . File the I-130 now. But understand that your marriage will come under additional scrutiny. There is a presumption in the immigration laws that anyone who marries after the start of removal proceedings is just trying to stop deportation, and the marriage is not genuine. You and your spouse can overcome this presumption, but only with "clear and convincing" proof that your marriage is real.

  3. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague's excellent answer.

    I would be careful about the timing of the filing of the I-485, however, and would do so only after having the judge agree to terminate the removal proceedings. Otherwise, depending on the particular jurisdiction, you risk USCIS not moving on that I-485 since it is not approvable and you can risk losing the $1,070 filing fee and would have to refile.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  4. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file I-130, but at this point you need to have an attorney as the process will be much more complicated than regular adjustment of status.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,245 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary