I applied for Asylum and am waiting for my interview with Asylum Officer. I wann know how long is it gonna take for interview?

New York, NY |

I applied in San Francisco, CA on May 5, 2013 and still waiting for an interview. Now I wann move my case to New York, NY as on July 6, 2014. So can anybody tell me what is the current wait time for an interview with Asylum Officer if I do move my case to New York, NY?
I just came to know that in San Francisco it may take up to 10 months more.

New York also has long backlogs for asylum interviews, and you may go to the back of the line if you transfer your case. You will also disrupt the clock for getting an employment authorization document (unless you already have gotten it).

In any event, if you've moved to NY, you must notify USCIS within 10 days.

None of this answers your question. I have heard of people waiting for interview in NY for a year or more. Be prepared for that, it is not predictable.

New York, just the rest of the nation is currently heavily backlogged with pending asylum cases it can no longer process in time. Should you transfer your case to NYC now, even if it does not get "lost" in transit or end up in a "black hole" where it may languish a good year or more (have seen this happening) you will to placed at the "end of the line" under the "last in last out" method. In so doing you will also disrupt the natural procession of the infamous asylum "clock" in your situation and needlessly delay the issuance or renewal of your work permit. You must also understand that NY is not as "understanding" towards asylum applicants as SF district is (still the best place in the nation in which to file an asylum application or defend one in court) and, without knowing anything about the merits of your case, the chances of asylum denial, in my humble opinion, will drastically climb in NY, unless you are a well known opposition figure in your country, and barely escaped being hacked alive when fleeing your country (and can prove it). Finally, there are people waiting for more than one year for their interviews in NYC, same as in SF.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

It is taking a long time to get an interview now a days due to the long queues.

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. A lawyer-client relationship will not be deemed to exist until such time as a written retainer agreement has been executed by an authorized representative of this firm, or until the firm otherwise agrees to and actually begins rendering services on a clients' behalf.