I am writing a demand letter to a bank, in a small claims action. I need to know to whom I should send the demand letter.

Asked about 1 year ago - Berkeley, CA

The parent bank is located in Pennsylvania. Important: I am suing a subsidiary of the bank. There appears to be no Process of Service agent for this bank (it's a large bank) or its subsidiary - either in CA or PA.

Question: Should I send my demand letter to the subsidiary's corporate address, or the parent's corporate address? They are in the same city, at different addresses. I want to get this right so that the bank (or, it's subsidiary) can't claim they never received the demand letter, in order to frustrate my small claim. (I will send the letter certified mail).

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . You don't indicate if the subsidiary is located in California. If your dispute is with the subsidiary of the bank and the subsidiary conducts business within the State of California, it will have an agent for service of process. You can look this up at:

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

In many instances, the agent for service of process for a large corporation will be CT Corporation.

If you are truly unable to ascertain to whom to send the demand letter, then use just the subsidiary's corporate address (not the parent corporation's address).

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

2

1

Answered . The FDIC has a website and there's a page with a 'bank finder' function. Here's the link:

http://www2.fdic.gov/idasp/main.asp

If the link doesn't come through, use your favorite search engine to locate the FDIC website, then enter bank finder in the search.

More about my practice:

3. Philip Anthony Fabiano

1

Answered . Is there a reason you don't sent the letter to both addresses?