I am working paycheck-to-paycheck and the working conditions are unbearable. Management won't fixed the problem. What can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Altamonte Springs, FL

I am a full-time employee working at a small retail chain store amongst 4-8 other employees daily. For months now the store's air conditioning has not been working and the temperature gets to 90+ degrees for hours each day. Promises to have this repaired month after month continue to be broken. Additionally, there is no way to obtain drinking water in the store without having to walk out and buy it ourselves elsewhere, management has refused to provide us any means to get drinking water or any other efforts to mitigate the heat problem. It's like standing in a hot car. The job requires physical exertion and moving around numerous 10-20 lb product throughout the day. My self and others are suffering noticeable affects of heat stress. I can not afford to lose my job. What are my rights?

I am seeking info about possible legal remedies... this is more of a specialty skilled trade type position.

1. Brian Patrick Carter

2

Best Answer

Answered . I know it's hard to find a new job in this economy and based on your paycheck to paycheck comments - you can't just quit and look for a new job. Keep in mind that if you suffer from heat exhaustion and require medical attention this will likely be a workers' compensation claim. If this occurs, contact a local workers' compensation attorney as soon as you can.

2. George Ellis Corson IV

2

Answered . Look for a new job, where there is A/C and running water. The bar is not very high; Starbucks and McDonalds usually meet that criteria.

I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.
  3. Lee Alan Thompson

2

Answered . Not really a workers comp question. I'm going to see if I can move it for you. Talk to an employment attorney but good luck.