I am wondering if sealing my record will restore my gun rights? If not, what are other options to do so?

Asked 4 months ago - Walnut Creek, CA

Hello, as a juvenile i was adjudicated with PC 12025 (possession of a concealed firearm). I have no felonies or adult charges. Because I was adjudged a ward of the juvenile court for PC 12025, my firearm rights were taken away until I reach 30. I know this because I applied to purchase one, and was denied. A year ago, I sealed my juvenile record. The court documents say the record is sealed in all departments including the "Department of Justice, Bureau of Criminal Identification". I am now attempting to apply for a job in law enforcement. I have a degree and am in Nursing school at USF (San Francisco). I will be disqualified from law enforcement if I cannot legally own a gun. I am wondering if my now sealed record will restore my gun rights? If not, what are other options to do so?

Additional information

I was charged with misdemeanor PC 12025

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The sealing of the record will not restore your rights to own a gun. Your only option is to apply for a pardon, either directly to the governor, or through a certificate of rehabilitation if you qualify. How old are you now?

  2. William Mark Weinberg

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sealing your record won't protect your gun rights. You can seek a pardon, though they're really tough to get. The only option I could see was reducing the charge to a misdemeanor, but that isn't possible, I think, since you've sealed the record.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,455 answers this week

2,960 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,455 answers this week

2,960 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary