I am wondering if I can collect social security benefits due to my graves disease (it is affecting my ability to work)

Asked 9 months ago - Scranton, PA

I have an enlarged heart unwanted weight loss shaking that affects fine motor skills constant exhaustion irribility that affects my attitude and has cost me my job I have become very depressed I no longer can stand for eight hours or even more than forty minutes without having to sit and rest I have lost muscle tone and have weakend considerably. I am less than half the person I used to be.I am effected physically and mentaly

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Brett Evan Gowen


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The answer is complex and we cannot tell you definitely without a full consultation so contact a local social security attorney. My fellow attorney is correct that the process will take months on the short end and up to 2 years on the long end for a typical case. If you think you cannot work full time now and in the future you want to apply as soon as possible.

  2. Mark Alan Buterbaugh

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . If you have not applied, then apply. If you get a denial letter, which is likely, then sit down and discuss your case with an SSD attorney in Scranton. There are plenty of excellent attorneys in your area, I know a few of them. Your medical records and what your doctors say about your ability to work will have a significant impact on your case. Have you spoken to your Doctor about disability? If not, have that conversation. You may be able to tell if your doctor is going to be supportive by having that simple conversation.

  3. Mikel Edward Lupisella

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . IF you satisfy the definition of disability, then, yes, you can collect. It sounds as though you are still working, however, and that would be an issue depending on how many hours you are working and how much money you make in a month (before taxes).
    You have to prove that you have a condition or conditions that have kept you from working or will keep you from working for 12 consecutive months. You have to establish that there is no job in the entire Country that you can do on a regular and sustained basis, which means 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 hours a week.
    Your age is also a factor, as well as the type of work that you have done in the past 15 years.
    I would suggest speaking to a local social security attorney about your exact situation and seeking assistance from the initial application.
    The process can take anywhere from 4 months to 18 months or longer.
    Seek an attorney.

  4. Nick Anthony Ortiz

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Each case is unique. That being said, I have represented claimants who have won with Graves Disease. Thus, I know it is possible to win a Social Security Disability Claim with Graves.

    The purpose of this comment site is to assist in dissemination of information about disability law, but no... more
  5. D K Kevin Dugan

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . When I was a SS Judge I paid many cases with these type of conditions. It will depend, however, on the severity of the symptoms and your medical-vocational profile. I can not give you a more precise answer without talking with you in detail.

    The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice. Please contact us at 954-916-2667 or... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,050 answers this week

2,859 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,050 answers this week

2,859 attorneys answering