I am waiting for biopsy results to see if I have cancer. I got a call today saying that I have to settle my bill beforehand.

Asked 10 months ago - Panama City, FL

The billing person informed me that this came from the doctor and my bill must be taken care of before he will discuss the results of my biopsy. I have no insurance and he knew this when he accepted me in the hospital, is this legal???? This is extreme mental stress for me, not knowing if I have cancer or not, and what kind of doctor is he to do this? What about "First do no harm", this is horribly harming for me knowing that results are in, but they are being held hostage until I pay them. I am also unemployed and live with my daughter who barely makes minimum wage. Please help me!

1. David Hughes Harris

Pro

7

Best Answer

Answered . So sorry to hear about this stressful situation. I understand from your Q that you already had the procedure and pathology. Now you need the pathology results. You are saying the doctor is withholding your results until payment is made.

This appears to violate the Florida Patient Bill of Rights (http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/Profiling/billof...). Look, for example, at Sections 381.026(4)(a)(3), 381.026(4)(b)(3); 381.026(4)(1), (2), (3).

There is something very wrong here, and you should contact the Board of Medicine immediately about this issue.

I hope everything works out and you are okay. God Bless,

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

8

Answered . Talk to an attorney right away about this completely ridiculous conduct!

3. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

5

Answered . You have a right to a copy of your medical records. Ask for them in writing. If they are not provided report doctor to Dept of Medicine.

I do not think the doctor has to see you without payment though.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

6

Answered . That is really outrageous conduct and I doubt that he is within his rights, even in FL. You should immediately consult with a local health care law attorney to see what your options are. You might start by filing a complaint with the state licensing board.

Pro

6

Answered . I'm sorry to hear about this. Best bet is to call one of the above lawyers in your state

6. Josh P Tolin

1

Answered . This really angers me. Mr Miller is correct. You are entitled to your records and I would request them, and if they do not promptly reply hire an attorney. In your situation, I would hope someone would do it either on a reduced fee or pro bono. This conduct is the type of story that a consumer affairs reporter on TV or a newspaper would find very interesting, and may get you publicity and put pressure on the doctor. I would file a complaint with the FL board of healing arts, and if he is board certified as an internal medicine or family practice doctor, write those boards. Be persistent! You are right... "first do no harm.." is the first part of the hippocratic oath. Good luck to you and I am truly sorry that I cannot help you more.