Skip to main content

I am victim of spousal abuse for 17 years including severe beating. i want divorce and justice served.

Dallas, TX |

i am victim of spousal abuse for 17 years including severe beating. i want divorce and justice served.

Attorney Answers 3


First and foremost you need to get some sort of protection, be it at a victims advocate shelter or through a victims advocate program. You also need to get legal assistance to put in place a domestic violence restraining order. If you can NOT afford an attorney to do this, your court will have legal assistance in completing these forms and having your husband served. I strongly recommend you do this forthwith as nobody should be having to go through what you describe.

Once you get the protective orders, you can then seek counsel about the divorce process. If you can not afford counsel, then there are legal aid societies, law school clinics and/or students interning at family law attorneys offices, and churches, synagogues and other places of worship whom can offer assistance. I will be praying that you get out of this horrible situation and hope you find this response HELPFUL.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Call the police if the abuse is still happening.
Make notes about all incidents of abuse, and call an attorney.
Start here:
Good luck!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If you are financially able, I suggest that you contact a family law attorney in your area to help you immediately. If you can't afford an attorney, consider calling the Texas Wesleyan Law Clinic in Fort Worth. They often accept divorce cases for victims of domestic violence who meet their low-income requirements. Also, seek assistance for domestic violence victims from the Lena Pope Home or Safe Haven at the links below. I hope you are able to establish a safe situation for yourself soon!

*Disclaimer: Visiting or sending communications through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer to this question is of a general nature. All representations by the attorney in this answer may be affected by and contingent upon additional facts and circumstances of the individual case. Please consult a reputable attorney to discuss a full and complete assessment of your case.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics