Skip to main content

I am USC- filing for a mother who overstayed visitors visa. Do I need to included I-485A and pay the penalty?

Philadelphia, PA |

Also, part b of I-485- is it option A (an immigrant petition giving me an immediate

Attorney Answers 6

  1. I-485A is for something else
    she is an immediate relative

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  2. No.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. No, an i485A is not required. The 484A is used in limited circumstances. If your mother lawfully entered on a visitor's visa, her overstay is waived because she is an immediate relative. I suggest you contact an experienced immigration attorney for more information.

  4. NO ... that form isn't needed.

    YES ... you should consult with an attorney. As you can see, this isn't a simple matter of filing in some forms.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  5. Consult an attorney. You may be causing your mother more harm than good.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics